When running a race there is nothing better than the support from the spectators. Through simply showing up you’re making a huge difference but why not go that extra mile yourself and make some motivational signs.
Racing can be hard and as they say, laughter is the best method. So while you can just go the motivational route why not throw some humor in there.
We have compiled a list of some funny (or just motivational) phrases you can put on a sign to, not only show support for the people you’re there to see, but for every runner.
- “High five if you love running”
Everyone loves a good high five.
- “Free high fives”
You’ll probably get more high fives sith this sign than the last one.
- “Go random stranger go”
- “You can do this”
- “Worst parade ever”
- “Are we there yet?”
- “Motivational quote”
A bit of anti-humor goes a long way.
Funny Yet Inspirational Running Signs
Same being as the last one but more specific.
- “There will come a day when you can’t do this, today is not that day”
Simple yet effective.
- “The end is near”
The famous end of the world sign but with a new twist.
- “You’re stronger than you think you are”
- “You know you don’t have to do this right?”
- “Only 26.1 miles to go!”
Better seen right at the beginning of the race. Or you can go right at the end to freak some runners out.
- “I love your stamina, call me”
- “There is beer at the finish line”
- “No other hobby interests you?”
- “You don’t have to run tomorrow”
The ultimate motivation.
- “You thought it said ‘rum’ didn’t you?”
- “You think you’re tired? My arms are killing me!”
Holding up a sign is a lot of work and you deserve to be praised for your efforts too.
- “You’re my hero”
- “Hydration is sexy”
Arguably the most important thing in a run and one of the harder things to remember .
- “Happy thoughts”
- “It’s ok to cry”
Running can be an emotional experience and there’s no shame in showing that.
- “I don’t even know you but I’m so proud of you”
- “Hurry we’re cold”
- “I’m looking at your future profile picture”
If you don’t have a picture of you running a marathon as your profile picture then did you really run a marathon.
- “Run faster, I farted”
- “Toenails are overrated”
A sad reality that your toenails will take a beating.
- “Getting up early to make this sign wasn’t easy either”
- “Every step is one less to take”
- “I’m just trying to cross the street”
- “Remember why you started”
- “Dad? Is that you?”
Finally returned from buying cigarettes and milk.
- “Because 26.3 would be crazy”
- “Run faster, it bites”
- “Always give 100% unless its donating blood”
- “May the course be with you”
Nothing beats a good Star Wars reference.
- “Run faster, it’s gaining on you”
- “Consider this practice for when the zombie apocalypse happens”
- “Your legs will forgive you eventually”
- “At least you got a free shirt”
They are usually pretty nice shirts.
- “You’re almost there… kinda”
- “Run from your childhood”
Everyone is running from something, childhood trauma just seems to be a bit more universal.
- “Stop reading, start running”
- “You know the first person to do this died right?”
His name was Pheidippides and he was delivering an important announcement to Athens about their victory over Persia. So you know, similar stakes to a modern marathon.
- “Black toenails are in this summer”
- “This is a lot of work for a free banana”
Bananas are delicious.
- “Run like you stole something”
- “WTF (Where’s The Finish)”
Subverting expectations is one of the best forms of comedy.
- “Don’t stop, people are watching”
- “I ran once. It was terrible”
- “I don’t even like driving 26.2 miles”
- “Left foot, right foot, left foot, right foot”
Every runner’s mantra.
- “Your feet hurt because you’re kicking butt”
- “Where is everyone going?”
- “Why do all the cute ones run away”
- “I made a sign!”
Be proud of your own efforts.
- “Run like someone just called you a jogger”
- “You’re running better than the government”
Relevant in every country.
- “If it was easy everyone would be doing it”
- “The pain is temporary, online race results are forever”
- “You’ve come this far you might as well finish”
- “I bet you’re second guessing your new year’s resolution now”
A common resolution but no one actually commits.
- “I’m sure it seemed like a good idea 6 months ago”
- “There isn’t a time limit on greatness”
Support even the slow runners.
- “This is the world longest game of follow the leader”
- “Remember you paid money for this”
- “You should’ve taken a poop when you had the chance”
Every runner’s greatest enemy is run poops.
- “You look hot when you sweat”
- “No one ever said it would be easy”
- “Run now wine later”
Can also write ‘whine now wine later’ but both provide the same pun.
- “Your pace or mine?”
Get it? ‘Pace’ sounds like ‘place’! We’ll see ourselves out…
- “I only came to check you out as you run by”
- “Kick some asphalt”
You can write it as “as…phalt” if you really wanna emphasize the pun.
- “You run marathons, I watch them on Netflix”
- “Run like it’s the start of the Hunger Games”
- “Run Forrest run!”
Even if you’ve never seen Forrest Gump, you know this quote.
- “Your couch misses you too”
- “There’s no place like the finish line”
Works best when paired with ruby slippers.
Some top tips to remember is that a little bit of color can go a long way. You want your sign to be visible. In fact you also want yourself to be visible, so why not dress brightly so your family and friends can see you supporting them.
Runners are looking for any break in monotony so on top of your sign why not blast some music to keep spirits up. If you plan on doing this please be considerate to your fellow spectators.
If you don’t want to make a sign then simply showing up can mean a lot. Especially if it’s bad weather, just knowing there are people wanting them to succeed goes a long way to reaching that finish line.
Hopefully now you can show support and also get a chuckle. And who knows, maybe reading these phrases have inspired you to start training for the next marathon yourself.
- Can Dogs Run Faster Than Humans? (Running With Your Furry Friend) - October 4, 2022
- 10 Doggie Fun Runs You Will Love [Ultimate Guide] - October 4, 2022
- What Are Division Results In Running? - October 4, 2022